Donations to Disbursements: A 5-Step Playbook for Designing a Direct Financial Assistance Program for Your Community
Sharing learnings gleaned from the launch of the Angeleno Campaign in Los Angeles
During the global pandemic, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti identified a need for locally-administered direct financial assistance to help families experiencing extreme financial hardship. Many of these families were immigrants or independent workers who would not qualify for other benefits.
Accelerator for America, the City of Los Angeles, the Mayor’s Fund for Los Angeles, Mastercard and a fintech partner collaborated to launch the “Angeleno Campaign” in only eight days, including a donation platform, promotion campaign, and disbursement solution.
As of June 30 (the end of Phase I), more than $36M in private funding had been distributed via 37,800+ Angeleno Cards to serve more than 104,000 L.A. residents.
We hope this Playbook, which provides a detailed walkthrough of the approach we used to launch the campaign, will help other cities provide aid to residents in need.
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary
- Establish a direct financial assistance fund
- Streamline application intake and management
- Measure reach and impact
- Resident Stories
- Key Lessons Learned
Download the Playbook
- If you haven’t already, join the City Possible community by clicking on the teal “Join” button at the top of this page.
- Once your account is created and verified, log in with your account info.
- On the ‘Welcome’ page, click on the teal “Go” button next to Shared Resources & Best Practices.
- Expand the Playbooks section by clicking on the plus “+” sign, and click on the Donations to Disbursements Playbook to download it.